As Martin Sweet's business ventures prospered and he became prominent in the community, he dreamed of a distinguished and spacious home for his family, and in the early 1860's he built his home on East Fulton.
The two-story Italianate Villa home survives as one of the few prevalent examples of this style of architecture in the latter part of the 19th century. The House is filled with fine arts: prints, paintings, pottery, sculpture, chandeliers, china, crystal, imported wallpaper, fireplaces and furniture made in Grand Rapids dating to the 1850's.
It is an historical treasure to be shared with the community and preserved for future generations. It has been the home of the Women's City Club since 1927.